Board of Education meeting: Wednesday, August 20 at 7:30 pm.
The meeting will cover, in part:
- A proposed new partnership with the AAPS and University of Michigan’s School of Education to offer Spanish in elementary schools. Dr. Donald Freeman, Director of Teacher Preparation and Dr. Maria Coolican are leading from the UM side.
Some details from the presentation:
- Student teachers fluent in Spanish trained through the World Languages Teacher Education program
- Teach two 30 minute periods/ week
- all elementary schools , beginning in the 3rd grade in 2009-2010
- Expanding to 4th & 5th grades in 2010~2011
- Supervised by University faculty and field instructors
- Coached and supported at the building level by media specialists
- Regularly scheduled reports from Youth Senate , BPSSG, MPAC, PTOC, AAAA, MEA, and other abbreviations.
- A decision on storm-water containment at Pioneer (discussion about the plan is happening before the meeting, at 5:30pm)
- Briefings and purchasing approval for two US history textbooks, The American Vision (Glencoe) and 20th Century United States History (TCI-Hunter). The cost of 1800 of the latter is $145,840.
- Committee assignments
For more reading:
The AAPS Board of Education meets every other Wednesday(-ish). Meetings usually begin at 7pm with a public commentary period, and are held in the 4th floor conference room of the Downtown branch of the Ann Arbor District Library. The 2008-9 schedule is online. Meetings are broadcast live on CTN and rebroadcast several times.
« Previous Article City Council: Continued From
Next Article WBWC, getDowntown: Bike Parts Thief on the Prowl »