Organizing for Peace in Ypsi

21. June 2006 • Dumi Lewis

In the past two weeks I’ve received two emails from current U of M student Krisilyn Frazier about the death of Clifton Lee Jr at the hands of the Washtenaw County Sheriffs. Issues of police violence can brew uprisings, distrust, and organizing for progressive change.

Krisilyn has stepped up and wants any help she can get in organizing a Peace March later this summer. She says it best, so I’ll quote her here,

As I stated before, the purpose of the Peace March is to promote peace and unity within the community. It will give the community an opportunity to speak out against black on black violence, police brutality, and racism. This is not an attack on ALL blacks or ALL police, just against those who commit the crimes and those who demonstrate insensitivity toward minorities as individuals who deserve equal respect and protection under the law.

You can contact her at frazierk@umich.edu for more information.

1. That image and the article title just contrast too much, IMHO

—Just a Voice    Jun. 22 '06 - 12:10AM    #
  2. JAV,

What’s IMHO mean? I picked the image cause I was tired of seeing the damn place where I have to pay my parking tickets :D
       —Dumi    Jun. 22 '06 - 03:39AM    #
  3. IMHO: in my humble opinion

—Laura    Jun. 22 '06 - 11:22AM    #
  4. Dumi,

first, no offence meant. Second, just didn’t get a chance to define IMHO, thanks Laura.

third;

As this was the first time I’ve heard of the death you wrote about. An article on that event would go very well with the image you used. This story is also very much about a peace march, so for this article it seemed like the wrong image. Also, you don’t need a image with each article. All that said, good work, good artcile, I”m more informed now, thanks!! Of course, all this is just my opinion, take what you will.

I would love to see more links to this story as it progresses. What I would really like is to see the video from the cop car.

Blaine,

Shut the fuck Up!!! To you a little shove and a grabbing of the rist is police brutality. In the real world (called reality) police brutality is what happened to Mr Lee (from the looks of things that i’ve read)
       —Just a Voice    Jun. 22 '06 - 12:06PM    #
  5. Michigan State Police from the Detroit area are currently conducting an investigation. If you really want peace, why don’t we all wait to see the outcome. The incident is supposedly on video. Agitating citizens to march in the streets during the hot summer months at a time when the economy is in the pits is not a responsible position. Washtenaw County Sheriffs are a well respected professional organization. If there was wrongdoing they will take action to prevent its reoccurrence. Nothing can be done to restore the victim’s life. Meanwhile, let’s pray for the family and the community.

—Karen Luck    Jun. 22 '06 - 12:41PM    #
  6. People who trust the police to investigate the police “need counseling”.

—David Cahill    Jun. 22 '06 - 12:53PM    #
  7. People who trust Lawyers need “counseling”

—Just a Voice    Jun. 22 '06 - 01:33PM    #
  8. “The police also twist wrists, and commit acts of brutality, on Middle-Eastern-looking people who demand divestment from Apartheid Israel.”

It’s exactly the willingness to insist on procedure, to the point of enforcing it physically, that gives you your chance to pontificate at council meetings.

The News article is amusing: hey! She pushed me! It’s SHOCKING POLICE BRUTALITY!

“An article on that event would go very well with the image you used.”

I’m confused. He did link to two such articles. A google news search on “Clifton Lee” turns up a few more, though they don’t appear to add any new information.

“Agitating citizens to march in the streets during the hot summer months at a time when the economy is in the pits is not a responsible position. Washtenaw County Sheriffs are a well respected professional organization.”

Organizing a march isn’t necessarily “agitation” (I’d call it channeling pre-existing agitation, if anything), nor is it necessarily disrespectful.

—Bruce Fields    Jun. 22 '06 - 02:17PM    #
  9. agitation is a bad thing?
    since when?

—Nancy Jowske    Jun. 22 '06 - 04:04PM    #
  10. To answer your comments:

1. Have you ever had a trained police officer sharply turn your wrist, elbow, and shoulder joints, pulling your whole limb up in the air, using your limb as a battering ram against your own joints, while forcefully pushing that limb forward? It is not only painful, but harmful.

Do not try it.

It is physical punishment, and a crime, when used to force someone, who is walking toward an exit, to force them to… walk toward that exit.

****************************

2. About your comment against “agitating” people to march:

Are you afraid of Black people who march?

What does that say about you?

I have never, ever been in any march that was not peaceful, and have no intention to ever change that.

When you see violence in a march, it causes the end of the march. That violence is generally introduced by the authorities… so that they can physically punish, sometimes even kill, the marchers, and discourage any future marches.

U.S. civil rights marchers went to extreme pains to avoid police violence, but were still victimized by it, as you know, often fatally.

Acting with the apparent authority of high Illinois and federal authorities, police assassinated Fred Hampton in his bed; he was not even marching. Not one police officer served so much as one day in jail for that, as far as I know.

If you want another example, look to the Memorial Day massacre of 1937, in Chicago, which largely ended the mass effort at union organizing in this country, for almost the next 60 years.

I don’t recall that any police were punished for that, either.

Do you want another example?

The South African authorities’ massacre at Sharpville, in 1960, had a similar effect.

For a long time, Ann Arbor police left anti-war marches, and Palestine rights marches, totally unmolested, to the point of not even driving by.

That is the only policy that makes sense in a civil society.

—Who Ordered that Police Assault?    Jun. 22 '06 - 04:12PM    #
  11. “Have you ever had a trained police officer sharply turn your wrist, elbow, and shoulder joints, pulling your whole limb up in the air, using your limb as a battering ram against your own joints, while forcefully pushing that limb forward?”

As a battering ram, really? And does the officer being “trained” make it better or worse?

Look, I wouldn’t wish even the most minor violence on anyone, but I still think it’s pretty amusing to describe this as an example of “shocking police brutality”.

—Bruce Fields    Jun. 22 '06 - 07:16PM    #
  12. “I still think it’s pretty amusing to describe this as an example of “shocking police brutality”.”

And particularly bizarre in context. So your brother died in a confrontation with the police? I feel your pain! Why, that’s just like the time they pushed my friend out the door for heckling the mayor. She may even have gotten a sore wrist in the process….

(And, apologies, I know, I got trolled. I’ll try to take my own advice now and shut up till I have something actually relevant to say….)

—Bruce Fields    Jun. 22 '06 - 08:39PM    #
  13. “Any Mayor, and any City Council member, who is found to have encouraged such a police assault, by so much as a nod of the head, could end up behind bars.”

someone needs to go to law school, because they have no clue as to how law works. City Council and the Mayor are very safe at this point.

I hope to see ann arbor continue to keep control of thier meeting so that they can get to work on local politics, rather then waste time on the fringe element of pro-divestment.

and where the fuck did “Are you afraid of Black people who march?”, what that hell is that. Whats it about? It makes no sence.

—Just a Voice    Jun. 22 '06 - 09:04PM    #
  14. “and where the fuck did ‘Are you afraid of Black people who march?’, what that hell is that. Whats it about? It makes no sence.”

That’s Blaine and his ilk trying to smear anyone who might disagree with them . . .

—Jared Goldberg    Jun. 22 '06 - 10:11PM    #
  15. Thank you for posting this Dumi; looking forward to many more posts on these sorts of matters as well!

The picture is fine; it may give some ironic force to the title, after the fashion of the Fugs’ song “Kill for Peace” (1966):

”...Kill, kill, it’ll
    feel so good,
    like my captain
    said it should
    Kill, kill, kill for peace
    Kill, kill, kill for peace”

—David Boyle    Jun. 23 '06 - 02:21AM    #
  16. “People who trust the police to investigate the police “need counseling”.”

Aww, bullshit. The police aren’t a monolith. And yeah, there does need to be public oversight, but talking about “uprisings” in response to something without all the facts is retarded agitprop.

Let’s see the videotape. Five’ll getcha ten that the youfs with warrents out for their arrest were resisting arrest, and that the death of this guy was accidental. But without the facts, there’s no way to tell.

You know the easiest way to tell when there’s not enough evidence one way or another for a rational person to act? Blaine shows up and starts speechifying.

—js    Jun. 25 '06 - 12:40AM    #
  17. Blaine,

I know as a recent victim of serious police brutality you now can speak as an expert on all things. You are so right, I mean with 4 million dead black men killed for sport in the last decade by police, there really is a Black Holocaust. But I really want you to still think about joining CfKBfS (Cops for Killing Blacks for Sport). You can’t imagine how much fun it is! We have one of the largest big game preserves in the region (called Detroit) and if you don’t drive you can come visit one of our local hunts. I understand your concern about the Black Holocaust, but what you don’t understand is that the planners of the Black Holocaust have already promised us members of CfKBfS a small stock for hunting after the majority of the black population is gone.

Oh, and we’re starting up a new group soon, CfKSUL, that is, Cops for Killing Stupid Liberals, and your our main target.

—Don't worry Blaine, things are under control    Jun. 25 '06 - 12:36PM    #
  18. “Don’t worry Blaine, things are under control”:

Two things – A) Your comment was NOT funny and B) Blaine is NOT a liberal. He’s a hypocrite, delusional, and an idiot, but he’s NOT a liberal.

—Jared Goldberg    Jun. 25 '06 - 04:01PM    #
  19. Comment number 20 was a death threat, by someone who felt they could make that threat with impunity, with no fear of the police even looking for them.

Are death threats legal in Michigan?

Read the last sentence again.

Now ask yourself if death threats are what you want to see, against those who exercise their right to Free Speech, to those who only ask that we divest from the violent, Racist State of Israel.

Eventually, the Zionists do resort to violent intimidation…

...Because no one will ever freely support the idea of Israeli racist supremacy and military conquest.

—Blaine    Jun. 25 '06 - 06:52PM    #
  20. I don’t think JAV is a Zionist . . . but wouldn’t it be funny if Blaine was in secret?

—Jared Goldberg    Jun. 25 '06 - 10:29PM    #
  21. Gee, Blaine what are you going to do? Don’t tell me you’re going to report the author of the post #20 to the same racist police that brutalizes peaceful speakers, speakers who only ask for divestment from Israel? Don’t you care about his human rights?

—Chosen One    Jun. 25 '06 - 10:30PM    #
  22. OH MY GOD! I think I’ve just been threatened with public resentment! Lt. Abrams to the rescue! Mayor! Don’t just sit there and let this racist thug get away!

—Chosen One    Jun. 26 '06 - 12:11AM    #
  23. 1. Please stop baiting Blaine. Baiting Blaine annoys everybody that Blaine annoys. (Which is everybody.)

2. Just because Blaine finds your comments objectionable doesn’t make them okay. It may come pretty close, but not quite.

kthx.

—Murph.    Jun. 26 '06 - 01:45AM    #
  24. Well I am glad my post generated some conversation, at the least. I hope those who feel the need to comment also take the time to talk to Krisilyn about the march. That is the purpose of this post, in my humble opinion. I think we could all use a little more peace in our lives.

—Dumi    Jun. 26 '06 - 02:41AM    #
  25. If we didn’t allow Muslims in this country, we wouldn’t have these problmes, nor none since before 9/11

—Double Dare    Jun. 26 '06 - 02:44AM    #
  26. Dumi:

I found your post to be very good. Please don’t take offense when I take pot shots at Blaine. I mean you no disrespect. It is sometimes hard to keep focused on the discussion topic at hand when he shows up.

—Jared Goldberg    Jun. 26 '06 - 04:13AM    #
  27. Blaine –

standing on its recent pile of 4,000 dead Palestinians, all innocent, and all lynched by Israel on Palestinian land ok, “all innocent”, god your a stupid idiot

BUT,

more importantly is reflecting upon what Dumi said;

I think we could all use a little more peace in our lives.

truer words were never said. sorry for my part in keeping this discussion from being more focused on the topic D, though I’d rather have mostly stupid comments then no comments at all

finally, OT
    I repeat what I said (paraphrased) a few comment sections back; Man A2 is slow in the summer

—Don't worry Blaine, things are under control    Jun. 26 '06 - 11:42AM    #